Google+ HOT OPEN BEEF SANDWICH |Forget dieting forever

If you love cooking and experimenting with new recipes - you've come to the right place! Not only do we have delicious recipes - we also share our SUCCESSFUL WEIGHT LOSS story.

Thursday, 9 January 2014

HOT OPEN BEEF SANDWICH

BEEF SANDWICH
This HOT BEEF SANDWICH turned out so much better than I had anticipated.
My previous attempts at achieving tender roast beef, using the cheaper 'Silverside' or 'Topside' cuts were all pretty disastrous. A lot of websites will tell you these cuts of meat are better slow roasted. Yet I've also seen instructions for conventional roasting.
Today I thought I would experiment. Having been spurred on by the ever increasing cost of roast beef on the deli counter and my thrifty conscience.
There was a hint of where I had been going wrong after I tested out Michel Roux's method of roasting pork loin.
This fabulous open beef sandwich includes just a few of the deliciously sweet and sticky shallots which went into the roasting tin. The meal is under 400 calories - and very satisfying! If you don't have time - use some deli slices, but if you want to try this recipe - here's what I did:

HOT OPEN BEEF SANDWICH
Ingredients
1kg Silverside
a few shallots
50g (per person) thickly sliced white bread such as ciabatta etc
garlic
oil
water
horseradish sauce
mixed salad
****
Heat the oven to 180ÂșC.

Dry the beef with a paper towel, rub with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown in a hot frying pan for a few minutes.

Place in an oiled oven proof dish and add about 2 tablespoons of water to the pan. No need to cover with foil.

Peel the shallots and add (whole) to the baking tin/dish. Stir around to coat lightly with oil.

I followed the guidelines for a medium/rare piece of beef: 15-20 mins per 450g plus 20 mins extra, basting every now and again. I took the beef out after 50 minutes and checked the temperature with a thermometer. It showed the beef was just above 'rare'. So I cooked it for a further 5 minutes (just in case….).

Remove the meat (and shallots), cover loosely with foil and leave it to rest for 20 minutes. Yes - that's the secret - don't touch it for 20 minutes. I learned this from Michel Roux's recipe. Try it yourself: carve a slice of meat just as it comes out of the oven. Then carve another slice 20 minutes later. I was surprised at the difference - the second slice was much more tender.

The only thing I wish I hadn't done was cook for that extra 5 minutes - because I doubt it needed it. It can be difficult trusting new recipes and doing things differently. I'm still learning!

Rub the bread with garlic, oil and a little horseradish sauce. I found cooking the bread on a griddle rather than toasting under a grill gave it a much softer texture. 

Pile on the beef and shallots, and serve with a lightly dressed salad.
****
REMEMBER:  - Do you know how many calories you are allowed each day?
Here's a link to our very first blog post about our weight loss journey, which we began in January 2011. We started this blog as a way of recording what we ate while losing weight. The blog is a food diary, and contains lots of recipes, tips and ideas about losing weight.
You'll find our WEIGHT LOSS PLAN here. 
Copyright © forget dieting forever (2014), all rights reserved. Please do not copy any of this material without my express permission.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We really appreciate your comments and feedback. Please let me know if you have any queries too. (Sorry but any comments containing links will not be published).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...